How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28353
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

being charged with contempt on child support the papers were submitted a month ago but thr

This answer was rated:

being charged with contempt on child support the papers were submitted a month ago but three days after submitted payment was made during the time i am being charged with contempt for was unemployed until as of two months ago do i have to pay the child support in full by the court date or just make payments on it in order to aviod jail time.Also the child support i being held responsible is understandable but the mother has full custody but has refused to let me see my child for over a year and is wanting me to sign rights over. should i sign my rights over and if so how does that process work.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Do you have the ability to pay the arrears in full at this time? Also, who do you make payments to? Is it directly to the mother? Moreover, has the court ordered in the past any visitation with the child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No i dont have the money in arrears at this time its 6500 for the back child support and 2000 for the daycare expense, i have only a thousand i have been able to come up with which is money i have borrowed from loved ones. The payments are made to Oklahoma child support services (ocss) not directly to the mother. no the court has not order any visitation. That is souly up to the mother and she is not willing to let me see her at all.

Jonathan, thank you for the additional information. At this time, if you have money to pay, you should contact Oklahoma Child Support Services and speak with them, about making a payment and having it applied to the arrears. This way, when you appear in court for the contempt hearing, you can show the Judge you have been making a good faith effort to comply and become current with what is owed. In addition, you should be prepared to advise the Judge of the situation that has caused this and provide a time line of what has happened, to place you in this position. The Judge will also want to see what efforts have been made to try and find employment, so you may want to consider bringing evidence to support your attempts as well. Moreover, the Judge is going to want to know what you are going to do from here on out, to continue to make payments. While the $1000 is a great start, the Judge is going to want to see more payments made each week or month. If you do not have answers for the Judge or a plan, he/she may take action to compel you to do so. As far as the issue with visitation, it is something which you have a legal right to, as the father and could petition the court for. As long as it is in the best interest of the child to have visitation with you, it would be ordered. The decision to sign your rights away is entirely up to you but one thing I want to advise you of, is that by doing so, the obligation to pay support and the arrears, may remain. If you voluntarily want to sign your rights away, you can and it would need to do done through the court. The mother would likely want to handle the situation and file the paperwork, since she is the one requesting it, so you could speak with her about how she is going to proceed and cooperate as needed. Remember, once you sign those rights away, you may not be able to get them back, so realize what you are giving up, as well.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
FamilyAnswer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!