How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118688
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how long after submitting paperwork to court does a paternity

This answer was rated:

how long after submitting paperwork to court does a paternity test typically take? This will be through new Hampshire courts.
Thank you for your response. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Upon filing a petition for paternity, the respondent has 30 days to answer the petition and admit or deny the allegations in the petition. If the respondent denies the allegations, then a paternity test is generally ordered by the court or upon motion of the petitioner within 30-60 days after the answer is filed. If the respondent admits to the allegations, no paternity test is ordered. If the respondent never answers the complaint within 30 days, it is up to the petitioner to file for a default judgment and the court orders paternity declared without any tests based on the respondent failing to answer the complaint within 30 days.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you for your answer but i have another question. Basically my situation is this girl says her 2 year old daughter is mine. When I tried talking to her about taking a paternity test she would come up with excuses not to take one. (fishy) She swears its mine tho but I cant believe her with out a paternty test. You said If I file for a petition for paternity and she just admits and doesnt deny im the father, then she will not have to take one? How do I go about the courts making her take a dna test??

I am sorry, no, the answer above was based on if the mother was filing for paternity, which is typically how these cases work. The fathers normally do nothing but deny paternity and force the mother to go through the expense of filing the paternity action if they want to claim someone is the father and collect support from them.

If you want to be proactive and end her harassment of you about the paternity, you can file a petition for paternity in which you deny paternity and if she fails to answer, the court grants default in your favor denying paternity. If she answers and claims you are the father, she has 30 days to answer, then after she answers within 30-60 days the court will order a test and you would make a motion for such a test.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you