How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Nevada. My former father-in-law has been harassing

This answer was rated:

I live in Nevada. My former father-in-law has been harassing me over child support payments. He states that I haven't paid for the last 12 months, which is completely inaccurate (and even my ex-wife thinks that he's crazy). He appointed himself as a guardian for my son, is this even legal? Also he was convicted of a theft felony a couple of years ago, can I ask the court to revoke his guardianship if he is indeed considered a guardian?
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you this evening.

That sounds like a most unusual situation. Where is your child now, is your former father-in-law caring for the child directly? To whom are you sending child support, or is the support being automatically withheld from your wages?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My ex-wife and I have joint legal and physical custody of my 4 year old son. He spends half the week at his mom's and half the week with me. Due to our work situation my mom babysits our child for us and charges us the same amount as the child support. My ex wife and I have been ok with this arrangement as it offers convenient and flexible hours. The child support payments are given by me to my mother, my ex-wife is aware of that and knows the exact amounts given.


My former father-in-law, a former attorney, has filed a lawsuit with the county clerk stating that he's representing my son (ad-litem, whatever that means) and stating that I haven't paid a dime of child support. My ex-wife is stating that this is false, and she's even willing to say that he's lying. For the time being I'm going to have to get an attorney and go to court for something that we both consider absurd. On top of all, he wants me to pay attorney's fees, court's fees and "reasonable fees" awarded to him.

Thank you for your follow-up, Joshua.

In this situation I am then unclear as to what role, if any, the ex father-in-law plays in the care for the child. While he can act as a "guardian ad litem" (G.A.L.), which is essentially a third party representative on behalf of the child, he himself cannot make any legal decisions. Furthermore, his G.A.L. petition must be accepted and approved by the courts, he cannot simply file without you or your ex-wife being able to contest it in court. It does appear that he is simply attempting to be malicious and unreasonable--in this situation obtaining counsel to contest him and the remove him as a G.A.L. You may also consider contacting the county bar association and filing a grievance against him for filing what appears to be a frivolous and an unethical suit since he is a third party and has no direct or inherent rights to the child. "Reasonable fees" and so forth are not something he can demand in family law, I am frankly trying to understand how and why this cause of action was even allowed to go this long against you.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's exactly what I thought. Now just a final question. If he indeed applies for G.A.L, can his previous criminal records make him ineligible? He pleaded guilty to a theft charge brought against him two years ago and he was convicted (also the reason he lost his license to practice) He is currently on probation until they can complete the sentencing.


At this point, I don't feel comfortable with my child even being around him, and I seriously feel harassed by his text messages, emails and calls.

Thank you for your follow-up, Joshua.

If he lost his license to practice, then he is no longer an attorney. It also means that he cannot sue you for his legal fees and compensation as that would be 'unauthorized practice of law'--he is not an attorney and cannot collect fees. Contacting the bar association is key here. You can also bring forth his criminality and attempt to impeach him on the basis of unfitness and in this potential fraud and a material omission to the courts. Furthermore, letting him know to leave you alone and then pursuing a restraining order against him on behalf of yourself and your child may also be wise--discuss it with your ex first, explain your reasoning, and then pursue it.

Good luck.

Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you