Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

Under Illinois divorce law, does a spouse have to grant the

Customer Question

Under Illinois divorce law, does a spouse have to grant the other spouse a divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
There is no law in IL that states that one spouse has to agree to a divorce. The objecting spouse is free to contest it and refuse to voluntarily go along with it. However, this won't stop the other person from getting a divorce because if one spouse wants to terminate the marriage, then legally they can.
.
Divorces are typically contested, uncontested or defaults. If they are uncontested, both spouses agree to divorce and split property, custody of children, etc. In a contested divorce, they essentially fight over things, but it eventually ends in a divorce as well. In a default divorce, one spouse simply doesn't respond and the filing spouse eventually gets whatever they were asking for in the petition.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.