How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34530
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently a teacher living in the United Arab Emirates.

This answer was rated:

I am currently a teacher living in the United Arab Emirates. In December 2012 my divorce was finalized in my home state of Texas. I did not request to go back to my maiden name in the decree but have now decided I want to use it. I am reading conflicting answers on what I actually need to do to use my maiden name again. Do I have to go to court to request this or just go to the Social Security Administration to get a new card, DMV, etc.? Thank you! Cheri
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Once the divorce is complete, you can not go back and modify that process.

So you would need to go back to court again.

Not too complex...actually the process is straightforward. It is not difficult to change your name in Texas for any reason (so long as you are not a felon) But it will require an application (called a petition) to the court AND an appearance with the court. It is not something you need a lawyer to accomplish (you can do this yourself)...but it does require that you

1. Have the petition notarized by a notary public

2. Be present at the scheduled time to provide information to the court on the petition. being out of the country presents a bit of a challenge. Mostly since to accomplish this, you will need to schedule with the court to coordinate your personal appearance.

You can certainly contact the clerk of the court for the county where you are a resident of...but if that does not work, you may need to have a local attorney prepare and present this for you to the court. While you would have to pay the cost of the lawyer, as an officer of the court they can likely accomplish this in your absence (to avoid the cost to travel back for the hearing).

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: once the divorce is final, you will need to schedule a new hearing with the court to effect a name change under texas law.

P. Simmons and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions