How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20 yrs exp. in divorce, custody, visitation & support .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can a person petition the courts to change the status of their

This answer was rated:

can a person petition the courts to change the status of their divorce proceedings
Thank you for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

What do you mean by "change the status" of the divorce proceedings? Can you provide a few more facts so that I may better try to answer your question?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

when we first entered a petition for divorce , I was not paying rent. Since rent is now a needed fact , can I petition the court for help in paying this rent. Without help I will be unable to secure any place to live.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The origonal petition to the court for divorce did not include the necessity for housing expense. I now find that I do not have the necessary income to procure even minimal living quarters


Are you employed?

Did you and your husband rent a home/apartment before the divorce was filed?

How long have you been married?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

employment yes. ave. 1000.00 per month. We lived in his house. we were married 4.5 years. his income is apx 4800.00 per month

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

are you still there? I need your help. please reply.


I'm here! I'm working on your will just be a few minutes


The answer to your question is "yes." You can petition the Court for interim support due to the change in your housing status and the large difference in your income vs. that of your husband's income.

There are often occasions when the parties to a divorce need interim or temporary orders and directions from the court regarding division of financial responsibilities – such as who will pay which bills, who lives in the house and family support – or regarding parenting rights and responsibilities – such as schedules for when the children are with one parent and not with the other parent, or who is to make decisions affecting the children. Usually, a Magistrate (a lawyer appointed by the Judge) will provide temporary or interim orders after a short hearing requested by one of the parties to give some relief or direction until the permanent or final orders.

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you for your business!

Many customers have asked how they can specifically direct a question to me in the future. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "xavierjd” in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.


***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!

xavierjd and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you


Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,