How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife and I submitted our mediation agreement to the CA

This answer was rated:

My ex wife and I submitted our mediation agreement to the CA courts in December of 2012. We had agreed that the end date of the marriage was to be effective January 15, 2013. With that assumption I entered into a new marriage on March 22, 2013 in Arkansas. Yesterday I received the final paperwork from the CA courts and the date of January 15 was lined through by the court and a new date of April 10, 2013 was entered. This is the date according to CA that our divorce was final.

How does this affect my new marriage in AR? What (if anything) do I need to do?

As your question implies, it is unlawful to marry one person while you are still married to another. In such a situation, the second marriage is unlawful and would be considered void.


In your situation, it would be the marriage on March 22 that is void as the first marriage was not yet dissolved. With that in mind, you might consider having a second marriage ceremony, this would ensure that this marriage is considered valid in the future. I have no idea how extravagant the ceremony was, but this one could be very simple, just something to fulfill the legal requirements of a marriage.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you