Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was born in Mississippi in 1958 - my parents were unmarried

at the time and were...
I was born in Mississippi in 1958 - my parents were unmarried at the time and were married 1 year later. My parents recently passed away - is there a way to have my father added to my birth certificate? Perhaps the most I can hope for is a name change. My entire life history has been in my family name, but my birth certificate does not list my father's name (it doesn't state unknown). My birth certificate states my last name as my mother's maiden name.
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/22/2013
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney
YOUR QUESTION:
is there a way to have my father added to my birth certificate?

ANSWER:

As a practical matter, no. More importantly, amending your birth record so as to now show the name of your father would not have any effect on your last name as originally listed. In other words, your legal last name on the birth record would still be your mother's maiden name. (That was the surname given you by your mother when you were born. Since your mother was not married at the time she gave birth, she was your only legal parent and she could have given you whatever name she wanted. Subsequent establishment of legal paternity does not result in an automatic change of the out-of-wedlock child's last name.)

At this stage of your life, the best and most expeditious means for you to accomplish what you are seeking to do is to simply petition the court for a legal change of name

=========================
NOTE:
I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

=====================
NOTE: If your question has been fully and satisfactorily answered, please proceed to “rate” the answer and close the discussion. Please understand that I receive no payment for the time, effort and expertise expended in answering your question if your rating is less than positive. If you are inclined to less than positve rating, please stop and let me know by using the REPLY TO EXPERT button. I will then continue working on your issue and do what I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you.

Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney

Do I petition to change my name in my resident state (Illinois) or should I do this via Miss?

YOUR FURTHER QUESTION:

ANSWER:

You do this is whatever state it is in which you are residing. If your now reside in Illinois, file the change of name petition in that state. CLICK HERE for further information.

After the process is completed, you should obtain from the Clerk of the Court a court-certified copy of the Judgment of Change of Name and staple it to your birth certificate. That way, whenever you need to show your birth certificate, the Judgment of Change of Name will be right there too.

PS: Thank you for the positive rating.

Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Family Law Attorney