Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

hi...my ex notified me that her mother was picking our son

up from school today. This...
hi...my ex notified me that her mother was picking our son up from school today. This is usually my responibility. We share first right of refusal if either of us work more than 2 hours. She refused to tell me even where our son would be going after school. I told her I would not be working and she still refused me the time with our son. A co-worker said I could get a show cause...please explain. Thanks.
4/20/2013
Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney

The person was referring to the process of enforcing your divorce judgment. This is a mechanism by which you can bring the mother before the court and have the judge reprimand her for her actions.

.

If you are interested in pursuing the matter, you might consider beginning the process by contacting the clerk of court as they should have template documents to help you get it started. You would just need to fill out the paperwork and file it with the clerk. If you are successful, it would likely discourage the mother from taking such an action in the future.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Thank you for your reply. How long once I make a motion does it take for this process. And are there other details you can give me about this matter that would he helpful to know?

A reasonable expectation is that the process would take about a month. As to helpful details, you essentially need two things, 1) a clear order being in place and 2) a showing that the person knowingly violated that order. Based on your statements here, it seems likely that you would prevail.

.
.
.
.

Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney