How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13632
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife filed for divorce, I am without work/income due to

This answer was rated:

my wife filed for divorce, I am without work/income due to her leaving the house and I have to take care of the kids. How and where can I find a prodeo lawyer . I live in bSunrise Florida
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Thank you for using Just Answer.

I'm going to assume that you made a typo, and you were asking about where you might find a pro-bono lawyer (a lawyer who works without cost). You would want to check with legal aid in your county, as they are the ones who prvoide such services. If you go to this link from the Florida Bar, and scroll down, they provide a list of all of the legal aid services available by county. If there are none listed in your county, I would suggest contacting the county nearest you.

If you have follow up questions, please reply, I am more that happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am going to the legal aid office tomorrow. We had everything worked and were supposed to file for an uncontested divorce. About 2 weeks ago I got served with divorced papers. So much for an uncontested divorce.


Thanks for your help so far...

If you got served two weeks ago, remember that you have 20 days from the date of service to file an answer, otherwise she can get a default judgment. Hopefully legal aid can help you when you see them tomorrow (from what people have told me, it seems every county's office is a little different in how they operate their offices).

And, even though she may have changed her mind now, it doesn't necessarily mean that things have to get ugly. You may be able to resolve your issues by, for example, going to mediation. With my first wife, we actually reached a mutual agreement talking through our lawyers (sort of an expensive way to do it) and assuming an agreement can be reached, a marital settlement agreement can be drafted and executed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Se claims she still wants to come to an agreement, but because of some of the things she has said over the weekend I feel she is using the filed suit to get what she wants...If Legal Aid can't help tomorrow, what you suggest I do to file a response within the 20 days???

You can file your own answer to her Petition for Dissolution of Marriage. Here is a blank court form you can print and fill out and file (with instructions). The other forms you may need can be found here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX let you know what happens tomorrow

Okay. Good luck. Kindly remember to give me a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my assistance.
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13632
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
RobertJDFL and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The legal Aid office cannor provide legal services.

Based on the application my case doesn't fall into the office priority guidlines.

I am very sorry to hear that. Every legal aid office has their own guidelines. You can still use the form I linked you to to file an answer to your wife's petition for divorce. If this is a situation where you simply have no money to hire a lawyer, realistically, the only option is for you to represent yourself. This is because outside of legal aid, there are no other pro-bono services that I am aware of. While many private attorneys, especially in smaller firms, will offer you a payment plan, generally speaking, they will want a retainer fee to start working on your case, and this can run several thousand dollars.