How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13654
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

in Illinois a child born out of wedlock. Sole custody is given

This answer was rated:

in Illinois a child born out of wedlock. Sole custody is given to the mother even if the father has signed the birth certificate. until he is given rights via court order is that correct?
Thank you for your question.

Correct. While having his name on the birth certificate (and if that has happened, then it is likely an acknowledgment of Paternity has also been signed) makes a person the legal father, in orther to establish custody and visitation rights, the individual would have to petition the court to do so. Until such time, the other parent could restrict when and where visitation occurs and how often.

That said, the Illinois Parentage Act now requires a custodial parent who wishes to remove a child or children from the State of Illinois to first petition the Court to request permission to do so. In other words, while the birth mother may have custody, they still do not have the right to leave the state with the child absent permission from the court.
RobertJDFL and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions