legaleagle
legaleagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
4622441

My daughter recently was sentenced to two years in prison and

My daughter recently was sentenced to two years in prison and she wants me to have temporary legal guardianship of her four children all minors. How would I go about that in the state of Arizona? I'm not sure if it matters but I live in Cochise county. Are there forms I can get on line and send to her to fill out?

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com with your question. I will provide legal information related to your question.

In order to give the best response can you tell me if the father is in the picture? Does he have any custody rights that he might assert over your request for custody?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The two youngest live with their dad at the moment however my daughter has full custody and he's been known to live a colorful lifestyle she's afraid if he gets in trouble the kids will be sent someplace other than with me. The two oldest ones live with me and their dads aren't in the picture.

I tried to get the forms from the Cochise county website but for some reason the link is not working. But you can go to the county court and ask for the temporary guardianship of a minor form that you can send to your daughter for her to complete. Once she completes them you take them back to the court clerk and pay a filing fee, sometimes you can ask for a waiver of the fees if you are unable to pay and the clerk has the forms to make that request also. Once you file the judge will set a date and time for you to appear and discuss the petition, he may or may not grant the petition without a hearing. But if he believes you need a hearing then a hearing date will be set before the guardianship is granted to you.