Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I wrote a reply on the previous question can you see it?

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/15/2013
LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney

LADY LAWYER : Hi! Yes, I can see it. But I am not online on Sundays so I just replied this morning. I wanted to know who was in LA?
Customer: No that's fine I understand
LADY LAWYER : I am going to close out this question so the site won't charge you--unless you are a subscription customer?
Customer: I signed up for a month
LADY LAWYER : Okay, then it will be easier to speak here since we can do a live chat.
LADY LAWYER : I just reviewed your previous questions, thanks.
LADY LAWYER : I have to say, I agree that it appears that the GAL is going behind your back.
LADY LAWYER : I don't know what she's up to, but it sounds like she wants Addie with either your mom or Cara, but not you.
Customer: I know that is strange.
LADY LAWYER : My feeling is that she is using Cara in order to get to Addie and get information out of both of them.
Customer: I think she wants cara to sign the petition to keep it in the court so the judge can keep continuing
Customer: I found a law office I am calling them today, is there a way we can ask for a new GAL?
LADY LAWYER : It would be rare that a GAL would encourage the move of a child so far away from other family members. And especially when the mother has not had custody in a long time.
LADY LAWYER : Probably not, unless you can really show impropriety. .
Customer: Oh I see
LADY LAWYER : But you do need an attorney.
LADY LAWYER : Since your mother has one, the GAL is probably being manipulated by them.
Customer: But her encouraging Cara to sign the petition when clearly she cannot prove income?
LADY LAWYER : If she thinks the child would be best served by not being with Cara, and that the judge won't give her to Cara if she signs the petition and cannot show income, then she's actually doing her job. Her job is to worry about the best interest of the child, not Cara.
LADY LAWYER : Yes, she's being sneaky about it, but they usually are,
LADY LAWYER : That is why it is always good to have an attorney navigate these things for you.
Customer: Right, but is it in the best interest to stay with an 80 year old that is vilifying her mother and grandma?
Customer: Yes I'm calling them as soon as we finish
LADY LAWYER : Not in my opinion, but I am sure your mother's attorney is going to vilify the two of you and say that your mother is the best choice out of the 3.
Customer: Ayayay ok thank you
LADY LAWYER : I think the GAL is still gathering information at this point.
LADY LAWYER : She hasn't likely made her decision on who to recommend, but she wants this to move forward so she can get more information.
LADY LAWYER : If Cara doesn't sign the petition, she cannot do that,
LADY LAWYER : So I think that is what she is after here.
Customer: Right, and if cara doesn't sign the petition then my mom will have to petition to take the gaurdianship away from me
LADY LAWYER : bingo
LADY LAWYER : so I am sure your mom's attorney is waiting to see what is filed and what he will have to file
Customer: Any idea how much this will cost me? I will pay anything, I just don't have a LOT
LADY LAWYER : I understand. It will be hourly. I imagine they will take a $2,000-$2,500 retainer up front.
Customer: Okay thank u so much, I'm glad we ralked
LADY LAWYER : Me too! Let me know if you have any questions after talking to the attorney.
Customer: Ok
LADY LAWYER : Okay. Have a great day!
LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney