How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved from Colorado to Texas with my Child. My parenting

This answer was rated:

I moved from Colorado to Texas with my Child. My parenting agreement was filed in Colorado. Now that we are Texas residents I want to know what the State of Colorado can do to us if I do not abide by our agreement. I am trying to follow the agreement, but the Father in Colorado is making it impossible.. giving me less than a week's notice of when he wants me to send our son for a visit and expects me to pay the airline costs ( I only ask for 2-4 weeks notice for ticketing) then he sends nasty emails about what a horrible person I am and when he talks to our 6-year old.. he tells him that I am the reason he hasn't seen him. I just need to know is following the Colorado agreement best-effort? If he doesn't give me notice or respond when I ask to plan visits.. can I be held responsible in Colorado if the visits are not made?
How long have you and the child been residing in Texas? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We moved here in July of 2012.. so 9 months

Thank you for the additional information, most helpful.


As you and the child have been in Texas for nine months, you have established legal residence in that state. Pursuant to federal legislation, any legal action regarding the custody of the minor child should occur in the state in which the child resides. With this in mind, you might consider transferring the action to your state.


If this is something that interests you, this would mean that the legal action would take place in Texas, in the courthouse near to you. This, of course, means that the litigation would be convenient for you and inconvenient for the father, potentially discouraging him from pursuing anything.


However, to answer your question, if the action remains in Colorado, then it would be prudent to abide by the agreement as best as you can. If you do not, my suspicion is that the father would file motions for contempt and/or enforcement regarding these issues. If he does, then you would need to go to Colorado to address his motions.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you