How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13890
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

by N.H law can a woman be asked to recind her last name as

This answer was rated:

by N.H law can a woman be asked to recind her last name as a result of a divorce?
Thank you for your question.

I appreciate your patience as I was sure of my answer, but wanted to research it anyway just in case. The answer is no -there is no law in New Hampshire that says a woman can be forced to rescind her last name (take back her non-married name, in other words) as a result of divorce.

That is left up to the woman to decide in the divorce whether they want to keep their married name or not, and many often do, especially if a minor child or children were born of the marriage.

A woman can also decide to keep the married name in a divorce and then later change it back, but that would require the filing of a separate petition to restore her last name.
RobertJDFL and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you