How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13648
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-wife just got sentenced to ten years in prison. She is

This answer was rated:

My ex-wife just got sentenced to ten years in prison. She is on social security disability and im getting child support off of that. will i continue to get those payments while she is in prison?
Thank you for your question.

Is she writing you a check directly from her benefits, or is social security paying that money directly because they consider your child a dependent?

If she is receiving SSI, payments to her stop a month after conviction, and because she will be incarcerated longer than 12 months, she will need to reapply when she is released.

If she is receiving SSDI, the payments stop to her after 30 days, but payments social security is making on behalf of a dependent child or spouse continue while she is incarcerated, and then she would just contact social security upon her release to reinstate her benefits.
RobertJDFL and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions