How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Good afternoon! I have one more question about my family. Thanks

This answer was rated:

Good afternoon! I have one more question about my family. Thanks in advance! My parents want to sell their house in Ukraine. 1. If they will transfer money on my account here in the United States, would I have to pay taxes out of these money? 2. Is it better to transfer these money on my account before or after they will receive their green-cards through family in order to skip taxes? 3. Will these money be a problem for them to have a low-income status? Or if they will buy a property in the US can they still have a *household with the low- income* status? 4. Can my parents expect any social and financial support after getting their greencards through family in the state of Iowa? 5. My mother had a cancer before. Will it make any difference for her social support? Like food stamps, insurance etc.

If the money is given to you as a gift you do not have to pay taxes on this money. If your parents give you the gift while they are in the permanent residents they will be subject to IRS regulations which limit the tax free amount they can transfer to you. They pay taxes on the excess not you. It would be better for them to transfer the funds before the establish residency in the U.S. Note I did not say before they get their green cards, people without green cars still pay U.S. taxes on transactions and earnings completed in the U.S.


If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.


This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.

Jack R. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you