How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a couple remarries does that cause cancellation of court

This answer was rated:

If a couple remarries does that cause cancellation of court orders from the divorce?
Are there any specific orders that have you concerned? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They ordered I split any recovery from a pending employment lawsuit with my ex.

And you have no remarried the ex? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

possibly in the future

If you were to remarry, that would clearly eliminate the need for much of the divorce judgment. As an example, if children were involved and you were ordered to pay child support, remarrying and residing together again as a family would eliminate the need to pay the support obligation.


The payment of the monies from the lawsuit would fit into that category, meaning there would be no need to make a direct payment. Having said that, she would still have a claim to an interest in the property. What I mean is this: if you remain divorced, then the judgment clearly details her interest in the judgment; if you remarry, then, as your spouse, she has an interest in the monies as well.


In short, if you do remarry, you won't have to actually write her a check but the proceeds would be joint marital property.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you