How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I are finalizing our divorce. He lives over 1200

Resolved Question:

My ex and I are finalizing our divorce. He lives over 1200 miles away, and does not see our son. They speak weekly as per our custody agreement; however, I have sole custody due to his mental condition that has never been diagnosed officially. During a recent phone call, he asked our son about my boyfriend's kids, how often he sees them, and if they sleep over. My son became confused and frustrated, but he continued to probe our son for information as well as ask him if he missed him or even still loved him. I live in louisiana, and have a lawyer, but he just claims that I cannot interfere with their relationship. What can I do to help to ensure this situation does not continue as it is harmful to my son's own mental issues that have arose since our separation and divorce. My son has been doing very well, but I do not feel that he should be put in the middle of any disagreements or relationship choices as this is something for adults, not a 6 year old.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

While the attorney is correct in that you cannot "interfere with their relationship", this does not necessarily end the discussion. As you may know, neither party should be involving the children in the litigation. Similarly, neither party should be interrogating the children about the social life of the other party. Your husband is guilty of both of these. As such, you might consider filing a motion for contempt and enforcement. The motion would detail what you have described here and would request that the judge find him in contempt and order him to stop these behaviors.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you