AttyCBradford
AttyCBradford, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense and Family Law Attorney serving California Statewide
66829710

I would like to file for a divorce from my husband of 26 years

I would like to file for a divorce from my husband of 26 years in the cheapest possible way. We have lost the house. We are filing a chapter 7, I am tired of being drug down with this sinking ship. I am leaving him towards the end of April and want to protect myself as much as possible

AttyCBradford :

Hello I am a CA divorce attorney and I would be glad to assit you

AttyCBradford :

In CA the filing fee for filing for divorce varies by county, in Los Angeles county the fee is $435.00. You can find a paralegal to do your paperwork, or if you want to go completely on the low budget level you can go to a local self help clinic where they will give you the forms and help you fill them out

AttyCBradford :

I caution you that if you are in the process of filing chapter 7 the divorce case will be put on hold. I divorce cannot be granted while a Bankruptcy is pending

AttyCBradford :

The Bankruptcy puts a hold on the entire proceeding, because anything that is disposed of in the Bankruptcy is no longer under the jurisdiction of the divorce court

AttyCBradford :

Some attorneys work on a sliding scale and some will help you with your paperwork on a flat rate fee arrangement as well.

AttyCBradford :

Since you were married for 26 years, that triggers the presumption of spousal support for the rest of the party's life (does not mean it will happen) but it could. The higher earning party could be ordered to pay support for a minimum of 13 years but more likely until the other party dies or remarries.

AttyCBradford :

Also if you have minor children you will need to consider custody and child support

AttyCBradford :

All items and debts acquired during the marriage are considered community property and each party has an equal interest in that

AttyCBradford :

If I have answered all your questions then please press accept and provide positive feedback, so I receive credit for my work. If not and you have additional questions please ask, and I will respond promptly. Please note: this is a PAID ANSWERING service, once your question has been answered, press accept. This conversation does not constitute an attorney-client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Lastly, sometimes it may take a moment to respond as I work with several customers at a time. Thank you and best of luck.

AttyCBradford :

Did you have additional questions?

AttyCBradford :

I see you have not accepted the answer. If you have additional questions, please ask. Otherwise if i have answered all of your questions please accept the answer so that I may receive credit for assisting you