Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

process of divorce, have a temp evidentiary custody hearing

in July. Wife moving...
process of divorce, have a temp evidentiary custody hearing in July. Wife moving out middle of April so have a temp custody/visitation hearing on April 15 then the evidaentiary hearing in July for custody.

can I present or my lawyer letters from oncologist that state I am physically able to parent daughter and one letter from psychologist stating I am mentally stable to refute there assertions that I am unable to parent our child due to my health and mental issues.

Mind you wife and her lawyer are "allowing" me to take our daughter this weekend for 4 days to AZ for family reunion. I live in Iowa

Thank you
4/4/2013
Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney

Unfortunately, the letters you have described would be considered hearsay. As such, they would be inadmissible in court. The purpose of this is to permit the opposing side to cross examine the witness, they clearly cannot cross examine a letter. If you want the statements of the oncologist and psychologist to come into evidence, then you will need to have them come to court to present live testimony.

.
I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Joseph
Joseph
Joseph, Family Law Attorney