How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

yes, I gave a deed of gift to someone back in 1996. But I find

This answer was rated:

yes, I gave a deed of gift to someone back in 1996. But I find that although their name is XXXXX XXXXX grantee in the deed. There is no]
where on the gift of deed where they signed the document. Is this deed still valid in the state of virginia. I mean maybe the person who you deeded it to does not want the property?

Good morning Brad,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While a deed must name both the Grantor(s) and the Grantee(s), to be a valid deed, only the Grantor(s) have to sign the deed. It is not necessary for the Grantee(s) to sign it. And, it is not legally necessary for the Grantee(s) to be present at the notarization of the deed by the Notary.

All that needs be done to make the transfer after signing by the Grantor(s) is to file the deed with the local government office that registers land deeds.

If the document has been filed, and they Grantee does not want the property, then they may simply execute a Quit Claim Deed returning the property to the Grantor. And, if the deed itself has never been filed, the Grantee can simply tear up the deed and that will act as a refusal of the transfer.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you need any clarification of my answer.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed, so that I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. I will be happy to continue further, and to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in 2013,


LawTalk and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Brad. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.