How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello I have 5 step children that I have been raising

This answer was rated:

I have 5 step children that I have been raising along with my husband for the past 4 years. The mother calls once a year if that and the kids refuse to talk to her she was an abusive mom. We cant afford for me to adopt them all, we dont get child support no calls other than once a year if that no letters no visits or anything. How can we have her rights removed and do you have any cheaper solutions to me having rights to the children other than adoption until we can save enough money for that. Thank you for your help.
What is your financial concern regarding an adoption? Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We were told its $7000 per child . We dont have that kind of money right now other wise we would have done that
Is that a fee that was quoted to you by an attorney?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My husband asked an attorney in our hometown how much it would cost for me to adopt the kids, he was told $7000 per child.

While costs vary widely from attorney to attorney and from area to area, I would suggest that this is a very high figure, especially when the attorney wants to charge separately for each child in a process that is no different whether it's one child or two. You might consider checking with a few other attorneys in the area. You may find attorneys willing to do it for much less.


Alternatively, you might consider handling the matter on your own. You can go to your local clerk of court and ask if they have template documents for a termination of parental rights and subsequent step-parent adoption. The clerk quite likely has all the forms you would need to complete the process on your own. While it would certainly be easier if you hired an attorney, you could save thousands of dollars in doing it on your own.


Either way, I would suggest that you have a greater likelihood of success if you do both the termination of parental rights and the adoption at the same time. When you move to terminate a parent's rights, the state wants an adoption to occur along with it. The reason is that the termination creates a situation where only one person is legally responsible for the child. The adoption cures this problem by putting a second person in place of the previous parent.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you