How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16710
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have two children adopted from Guatemala ....they came with

Customer Question

I have two children adopted from Guatemala ....they came with the Visa that made them a US citizen upon their arrival. However we are hearing that it is difficult for them to get jobs, drivers license etc with a guatemalan bc.....and the youngest we changed her name so her guatemalan bc is not what we call her.....I know that we can re-adopt although not necessary but currently can't find any experienced lawyers in this field in our area
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

Are you looking for sources to find an experienced local adoption / child custody attorney or do you have a specific legal question?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the younger child should be easy I think just a re-adopt right? with her new name and an american birth certificate.....I'm just having trouble finding an attorney in NC that handles this issue.


the older child .... I'm not sure what happens I have heard that if a father doesnt pay child support for 2 years his rights can be terminated and I can re-adopt her....but then I've heard that isn't true.... can two people that adopted her that are now divorced re-adopt???

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

doesn't it take a immigration attorney to do this adoption even though they are legal citizens or can any adoption attorney do this?

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Why do you think that if these children would have a birth certificate from Guatemala would disadvantage them in any way?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well the youngest daughter's name has been changed from a specific hispanic name to an american name so she's never been called or even knows the name on her birth certificate.


In speaking with parents and adults from other countries that had foreign bc it was always a hassle getting a job or drivers license because they want to lump them in with the "green card" immigrants and they are american citizens.

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Are these children have their American immigration documents in their new American names?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no they do not

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

Have you considered legal name change for both of the adopted children and would both adopted parents consent to such legal name change?

The reason I am inquiring, is because it is much easier to accomplish than to re-adopt the kids.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

but with a name change they still have to present the guatemalan birth certificate which for one child would be in a totally different name ....would she just show her legal name change along with her bc?

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.

First of all, in most cases your adopted children would not have to present their birth certificate when they are looking for employment, as they will also be able to present their US passports and their social security as proof of their US citizenship and also once the legal name change is ordered by the court, their new American names would become their legal names and they would be able to obtain all of their documents, such as driver license, US passport, Social Security Card, etc... in their new legal changed American name.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any related follow up questions?