How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Need advice in reference to my mother, she is been separated

This answer was rated:

Need advice in reference to my mother, she is been separated from our father for over 30 years never file divorce, our father didn't contribute for child support or house payments after all this years my father is ill and, I have been inform that they could take our mothers
home for his medical bills? is this possible need advice and direction.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Unfortunately, as they are still married medicaid could still seek to take the marital property, but this is only a presumption that the property is marital property and this presumption can be disputed in an appeal. To dispute the fact it is marital property, your mother will have to prove to medicaid that they have been separated from bed and board for 30 years and as such the property is not going to be considered marital. At this point, your mom needs to consider protecting herself by getting a divorce finally and having the court declare the property separate so that she does not have to fight with medicaid in the event of your father's death.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.


There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you,for your answer, do I need to contact divorce lawyer in NY Queens that is where mother resides, how do I handle my dads issues

for medical attention? at the present time.

Yes, you would need a divorce lawyer in NY to file and complete a divorce. In the meantime, generally medical needs of a spouse are presumed to be a marital expense, which means she has to prove to the medical providers that they have been estranged for 30 years and the attorney will generally contact them and provide them the evidence and tell them this is not a marital debt.

As far as your dad's medical issues and needs, you can assist him in applying for medicaid or other medical assistance programs such as medicare.