How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102599
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I have been separated for 15 years, We lived in

This answer was rated:

My wife and I have been separated for 15 years, We lived in Oregon (where I still live) and she deserted me and moved to Nevada(took 3 children, two stayed with me, all are now grown). I am currrently un employed, have no assets and health issues. she is suing for divorce and asking $500 alimony for 5 years. I do not protest the divorce, I need to know if a judgment fofrspousal support in Nevada can be enforced in Oregon..
Hello, my name is Ely. Welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) my function is to give you honest information and not necessarily to tell you what you wish to hear. Note: there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am very sorry for your situation.

First of all, please understand that you may challenge the divorce even if you are merely challenging not the divorce itself, but the alimony request, only - it is common for parties to agree to 95% of the split, but then ask the Court to make a decision in regards XXXXX XXXXX 5% that cannot be agreed upon.

Alimony is subjective, and it is on a case by case basis, with a Nevada Court looking at the following to make its decision: 1. The respective merits of the spouses; 2. the post divorce financial condition of each spouse; 3. which spouse actually acquired the property being used for support; 4. and the need to grant alimony to a spouse for the purpose of obtaining training or education relating to a job, career or profession.

The reason I bring this up is because considering that she has lived apart for 15+ years, and has not once asked for alimony formally in court via divorce or separation until now, the Court is very likely to determine that she does not actually need it now.

But, should she get it, I am afraid it may be enforced in Oregon. Pursuant to Article IV, Section 1 of the United States Constitution's full faith and credit clause, all states recognize each other's court decrees and judgments. Alimony may be domesticated and enforced in Oregon even if she gets it in Nevada.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three faces, keep this in mind when rating my and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

IMPORTANT: Please use REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces before submitting the rating, because this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects negatively on me as an expert, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. Do not worry, you may always ask follow ups free after rating. My ultimate goal is your complete satisfaction.
Ely and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you