Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

Biological father signed consent for adoption for minor child

Customer Question

Biological father signed consent for adoption for minor child in state of Illinois. Step-father and biological mother are on petition vs minor child. The minor child was served at Sheriff's office at least 30 days prior to hearing date. Is this hearing date considered an interim hearing or a final hearing for the petition? Is is standard that a guardian ad litem be appointed even though biological father signed consent?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.
Hi

How old is the minor child?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She is 8

Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Thank you

Then yes, the court will generally appoint a GAL for the minor - most times any child under age 14 will have a GAL appointed. In non contested step parent adoptions that fee is about $200 for the GAL but it varies

Also this hearing will be an initial hearing and the court will decide on investigation and background check into the Home and the step parent. If not already, the GAL will be appointed.

Once all that information is presented back to the court, then a hearing will be set for a final judgment and adoption order

I think I have answered your question. Remember, I can only answer and provide true and correct information for what you ask.

Otherwise, please rate this service below Good to Excellent so that I may get credit for my time and information. Rating will not close the question and it will always be available for follow ups. A Rating will only close a CHAT and then convert it to a QA where you can always access it.

Thank You and good luck with everything
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So I should have an interim order prepared for the judge to sign to appoint the GAL? Also, how long does the GAL have to answer the interim order? Who schedules the final judgment hearing - the GAL or the adoption parents?

Expert:  Samuel II replied 4 years ago.
Hi

You can have that Order prepared, yes.

Also the adoptive parents will be the ones to set the date for the final hearing - but certainly can take into consideration anyone else's schedule.

Thank You and good luck with everything