How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am recently divorced & need to finish up a couple things.

This answer was rated:

i am recently divorced & need to finish up a couple things. I need to do a quit claim deed to remove my ex-wife's name from one of my properties. How do I do that? Would it be easy for a local lawyer to do it for me? if so would that be a family law attorney? also I need to put a lien on the primary residence that was given to her in the settlement for $50k per the court order. How do i go about doing that?
DearCustomer- The only way to get a quit claim deed from her is for her to sign the deed. You have no way of getting her name off of the real estate unless she signs the deed or there is a court order. If this was part of your divorce decree and she refuses to sign then you can file a motion for contempt and the court can order the property transferred to you. If there is a court order that she owes you the money for the primary residence then that court order is already a matter of public record and would appear in any title exam the same as a lien so there is nothing else you would need to file. If she fails to pay the money you can file a motion for contempt based on the divorce decree.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions