How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37827
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend has been served child support paper. Him and his

This answer was rated:

My friend has been served child support paper. Him and his wife had gotten a divorce around 5 yrs ago. they have 2 kids. She signed him up for child support. 2 years later they ended up moving together. His wife said she removed the child support order due to him moving back in with her and the kids. They have lived together for the past 3yrs. His wife put him out 3 months ago. She filed for child support mar 2013. The letter states "notice of intent to deny or suspend your driver license" our records indicate has your last child support payment was made on 00/00/0000.. you are 60 days or more past due.. he picks his kids up on weekend. and give them money. He does as much as he can .He would like to know about any options he may have.. Does he need a lawyer to go in on his behalf to speak with the child support division?

Good morning from southeast Georgia,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your friend's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The fact that he moved back in with his ex, and she may have told child support collections that she had done that does not mean that the court ever ordered that the support obligation terminated.

In all likelihood, the support order was not terminated and as far as the state is concerned, he hasn't paid child support for the past couple of years. With near certainty, while the ex may have told him that she had the order terminated, whatever she may have done thinking it would terminate the support---did in fact not terminate it.

Your friend does indeed need an attorney, as speaking with child support will do no good. He needs to petition the court for relief in order to be given a break for the 2 years that they lived together and he directly supported the children.

I wish you the best in 2013.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,


LawTalk and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Monique. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (8-10) there as well. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Related Family Law Questions