How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I am currently working overseas and own a home in Nevada

This answer was rated:

If I am currently working overseas and own a home in Nevada butdo not meet the residency criteria for Nevada where do I file for my divorce?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Where does your wife live ?

How long has she lived there ?

How long have you owned a home in Nevada

Do you vote ion Nevada

Do you have a Nevada Driver's license

Do you have vehicles registered in Nevada

Do you pay taxes in Nevada.?


Answers to these question will allow me to assist you better.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am the wife. I am Canadian my husband is American.

We work and live overseas.

Have been seperated for almost a year(will be a year in May)

We have owned our home in Nevada since 2005.

Neither vote. Husband eligible to vote, wife not eligible.

Both have Nevada drivers liscences.

have vehicles registered in Nevada.

Pay Nevada taxes.

The requirement in Nevada is that one party must reside in the state for 6 weeks as you are probably aware. At least one of you would have to return to Nevada for 6 weeks to file in Nevada. Your only other alternative is to file in the country where you are currently living UAE. or to determine if Canada law has provisions for situations such as yours.


In an article at the author indicates that a secular divorce can be had in Dubai for foreign nationals. This is probably your only option if you cannot return to the U.S. for 6 weeks. You should also note that after filing there may be one or more occasions where you would need to appear in court.


I am sorry I could not have been of more assistance.


Please don't forget to press ACCEPT and the appropriate rating so I may get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

Jack R. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you