How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have leaved with my husband for 9 yrs, we have two kides.

Customer Question

i have leaved with my husband for 9 yrs, we have two kides. but we are both legally married to diffrent people. do i have a right to share his property, busness etc? he is self employed and we have two kides he supports us but now he wants to get seperated so can i ask for child suport?  

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is Andrea and my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service



1. You asked if you had the right to share in his property and his business


Answer 1


If you and he are married to different people, then you and he are not husband and wife and if he died, you could share in his property only if he left you property or the business in his will. If he did not leave you anything in his will, then the only way that you could share in the property or the business is if either your name was on the property and business with his, or you could prove that it was through your efforts that he acquired the property or you helped him establish the business. The same rules would apply if you and he no longer lived together. You would have to show that he acquired the property or business through your help and your efforts.



2. You also asked if you could claim child support



Answer 2


If he is the father of your children and you no longer lived with him, he would have a legal obligation to support the children and yes, you could go after him for child support.



If I have not Answered your question fully, please let me know by using the "Reply" button and I will be glad to explain further,

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you as "Excellent Service", If you are given a survey, please be kind enough to leave some Positive Feedback, I would appreciate it greatly,


Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, but when you say proof that i helped him What kind of proof is valid?