TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

My husband and I had our marriage annulled this past Thursday

Customer Question

My husband and I had our marriage annulled this past Thursday after being married in may of 2012. My question is can he keep my engagement ring?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

VAMD, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

VAMD, Esq. :

What was the reason for the annulment?

JACUSTOMER-eincz1zp- : There was no inside it however I saw with his lawyer he stated fraud based on the fact that I didn't give him all of my prior debt
JACUSTOMER-eincz1zp- : Excuse me there was no reason stated
JACUSTOMER-eincz1zp- : I thought I lost my ring but he ended up taking it I found an insurance claim not knowing he had it and then he called entrance to let them know he had it and he was keeping it based on the annulment
JACUSTOMER-eincz1zp- : I believe it's in a safety deposit box
VAMD, Esq. :

Thank you. I do believe that you would need to return the ring. An engagement ring is not an ordinary gift. An engagement ring is a conditional gift. That is because it is conditioned on you two being married. In this case you were married, and if you merely got a divorce then I'd say that the condition of marriage was met, and the ring is yours. However, an annulment is unique in that it erases the marriage as though it never occurred. Furthermore, the fact that your ex was able to blame you for the breakup by claiming fraud indicates that he'd have a good argument to keep the ring. He could argue that he was fraudulently induced to marry you, and that he wouldn't have done so had he known about the debt.

VAMD, Esq. :

I wish that I had better news for you.

VAMD, Esq. :

But please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an honest response.

VAMD, Esq. :

However, if your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.

VAMD, Esq. :

I do ask that you rate me based upon whether I answered your question, and not based upon whether the answer was good news or bad news. Your positive feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for using our service!

VAMD, Esq. :

Hi. Are you still there?

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again.

Do you need any clarification? Please feel free to let me know.

I appreciate you using our service.