How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16623
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you have a long term relationship with someone and presented

This answer was rated:

If you have a long term relationship with someone and presented yourself as a married couple, if the relationship ends do you have any legal option to get your belongings that you had jointly? A friend of mine had this happens and the ex took everything. They had join accounts an leases and everything. What are the legal options? She has a lot of it in a storage unit, so is there a way to avoid court and be able to present anything to allow the storage place allow you access? An or can he enter it because his belongs to him?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your friend's unfortunate situation.

Did you friend's ex took his personal belongings without your friend's permission and has put it in storage which is in your friend's name only?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes she took it without hi permission current storage her name only
Dear Meshelle,

Thank you for your follow up.

Your friend will have couple of option to recover his personal belongings from his ex.

The first thing your friend can do is to report the fact that his belongings have been taken by the ex without his permission to the police. While police will take a report, there is a possibility that police would not want to get involved in this situation, given the domestic nature of the relationship your friend and his ex were involved in, prior to the ex taking the personal belongings of your friend.

If the police would not further investigate this situation due to its domestic nature, then your friend will have to file a lawsuit in the local small claims court to gain access to the storage and to recover his possessions.

Unfortunately, those would be the only two options for your friend to pursue this matter either criminal or civilly or both, since the storage is in the ex's name only, your friend will not be able to get access to it without either ex's consent, or criminal / civil court order.

I wish you and your friend all the best!
Alex J. Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions