How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A girl i had a one night stand with in november told me today

This answer was rated:

A girl i had a one night stand with in november told me today that she wants to have the baby. I do not want anything to do with her or the child nor do i want to pay child support. I want her to get an abortion. If i give up parental rights will i still have to pay child support?
Dear JACUSTOMER - You cannot force her to have an abortion and if she has the baby and it is yours then you will have to pay child support unless or until the child is adopted by another father. That is the law in all 50 states. You do not have to be associated with the woman or your child but the child will have to eat and be housed so the law will require that you help in the support the child regardless of whether you exercise your rights. If you decide you want to be involved with the child you will be able to establish your parental rights to custody and/or visitation. Once the child is born you will have a right to make certain you are the biological father and have a DNA test performed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If i am not the father on the birth certificate would they have the right to want child support

If she files for support and you are determined to be the father then you would owe support. Also, even if she doesn't file for support, if she receives aid from the state then the state will seek support to reimburse them for what they pay. It doesn't matter who is on the birth certificate since all that matters is who is the biological father as determined by DNA testing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So no matter what happens im going to have to pay child support?

If the woman or the state files for support and you are the father then you will have to pay. If no one files then you will not have to pay. Obviously I have no way of knowing what either of them might do but my guess is that you will, at some point, have to pay support.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well happy easter to you too haha. thanks for the help.

Same to you and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions