Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

A girl i had a one night stand with in november told me today

that she wants to have...
A girl i had a one night stand with in november told me today that she wants to have the baby. I do not want anything to do with her or the child nor do i want to pay child support. I want her to get an abortion. If i give up parental rights will i still have to pay child support?
4/1/2013
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dear JACUSTOMER - You cannot force her to have an abortion and if she has the baby and it is yours then you will have to pay child support unless or until the child is adopted by another father. That is the law in all 50 states. You do not have to be associated with the woman or your child but the child will have to eat and be housed so the law will require that you help in the support the child regardless of whether you exercise your rights. If you decide you want to be involved with the child you will be able to establish your parental rights to custody and/or visitation. Once the child is born you will have a right to make certain you are the biological father and have a DNA test performed.

If i am not the father on the birth certificate would they have the right to want child support

If she files for support and you are determined to be the father then you would owe support. Also, even if she doesn't file for support, if she receives aid from the state then the state will seek support to reimburse them for what they pay. It doesn't matter who is on the birth certificate since all that matters is who is the biological father as determined by DNA testing.

So no matter what happens im going to have to pay child support?

If the woman or the state files for support and you are the father then you will have to pay. If no one files then you will not have to pay. Obviously I have no way of knowing what either of them might do but my guess is that you will, at some point, have to pay support.

well happy easter to you too haha. thanks for the help.

Same to you and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer