How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the State of Washington, is spousal support awarded after

This answer was rated:

In the State of Washington, is spousal support awarded after a divorce is finalized. I am 64 years old, have not worked for the past 21 years and have a agoraphobia. Currently I am receiving spousal support of $2000.00 a month during our separation. According to my husband this will end after the divorce is finalized. I receive social security monthly allotment of $700.00. I will also receive half of my husband's retirement, $90,624.00 to be paid in monthly installments of $1,562.00 and half of his pension fund of $14.000.00 in a one time lump sum. This leaves me with $2,262.00 including the social security payment. $2,262.00 sounds like a lot of money, but it would be difficult to live on this amount in today’s economy. If alimony can be paid after the divorce is final, I would be asking for at least $700.00/monthly. Sincerely, XXXXX

Whether intentionally or otherwise, your husband has misinformed you. In Washington, spousal support most certainly can be awarded after a divorce is finalized. While it is not dispositive, the amount that was awarded while the divorce is still proceeding should be considered a good estimation as to what would be awarded at the close of the case.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on "OK", "Good" or "Excellent" service. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click on one of the positive indicators. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed.
If you are not yet satisfied with my answer, please do not yet rate my service. Instead, please click on the "Reply to Expert" and let me know what else I can do for you. Please only rate my answer when you are fully satisfied.
Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
Leaving a bonus is not required but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck.

Joseph and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you