How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is incarcerated in Ct the mother brings my grandson

This answer was rated:

My son is incarcerated in Ct the mother brings my grandson up to visit him maybe a couple times a month she now wants sole custody what rights does my son have in this situation


My name isXXXXX'm a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you folks.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share some good news with you, as follows. The fact that your son is currently incarcerated does not for one minute automatically "undo" or strip him or his rights as a natural parent. Some incarcerated parents have lost their parental rights by virtue of the other parent claiming "abandonment". However, Connecticut is one of a minority of states which have actually enacted specific guidelines to protect incarcerated parents from such occurrences. Here's the actual language of the Court's opinion: “Incarceration alone, however, is not sufficient to establish the statutory grounds for abandonment.” In re Terrance C., 58 Conn. App. 389, 394-395, 755 A.2d 232 (2000). So, the botXXXXX XXXXXne is that if the mother wants to seek a change in custody, she must petition the Court, serve your son with proper notice, and afford him an opportunity to have his side heard, just as if they were both living in the community. While I regret it's happening at all, Connecticut is actually one of the very best state jurisdictions in which to have such a dispute take place.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you, your son, and your grandson.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for that information i have anther question for you i haven"t been able to see my grandson since last May.

Do I have any rights for visitation as a grandparent what are my chances in getting these visitations with him he is 2 years old

Hello again,

Thanks for writing back..great to hear from you!

You are most pleasure entirely!

It makes my day to know that my answers have been helpful to you. I do thank you so much for taking the time to express your appreciation with such kind words.

On the topic of grandparent visitation rights the news is mixed. Here's what I mean by that statement. Yes, the law does recognize the importance of your playing a role in the right of your grandchild. However, on the flip side, it's not an automatically afforded natural rights such as with a birth parent. Rather, you have to assert your rights, which means a family law attorney petitioning the Court on your behalf. Here's a resource you can trust to schedule a consultation with a local lawyer to discuss going forward:

Attorney Referral Services‎

Now, I can give you an extra bit of good news. Using the agency serving your local area will only cost around $25 to $35, and that includes both the referral and the actual attorney time. It's an incredible bargain in today's legal world, and you can trust every resource listed.

Hang in there...I truly hope much brighter days await you!

Best regards,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Ben, J.D.