Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Is property acquired after a separation considered non-marital

property in the State of...
Is property acquired after a separation considered non-marital property in the State of Georgia?
3/28/2013
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer

Lawyer Lori :

Good afternoon. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be the professional assisting you today. Can you tell me how the property was acquired - inheritance, purchase with earnings, a gift?

Customer:

It was the purchase of an automobile using non-marital funds.

Lawyer Lori :

Thanks for the information.

Lawyer Lori :

If the purchase was with separate property then it remains separate property so long as you have not co-mingled it - such as putting your spouse's name on the title.

Customer:

Thank you. Are there any other details I should be aware of related to this?

Lawyer Lori :

No, so long as the non-marital funds were never placed in a joint account, the should remain separate property and neither they nor anything purchased exclusively with those funds should be considered marital property.

Customer:

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Lawyer