How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am in the process of retiring and I need to have my husband

This answer was rated:

I am in the process of retiring and I need to have my husband sign off on my retirement because I want to do straight life. What will happen to my retirement if he refuses to sign off? Can I still retire and select what I want to do. I am retiring from Michigan Public Schools as a teacher. Also he resign from his employment 4 years ago without my consent and spend most of his retirement, so do I have to give him anything?

If you cannot get your husband to sign off on the retirement terms you want, the current terms will remain in effect. These probably include some sort of spousal survivorship provisions. You cannot force your spouse to sign to change the retirement plan payout terms. Laws were put in place to protect spouses from losing retirement benefits.


As a married couple your spouse has an interest in your retirement. Whether or not you give him any money while you are married is up to you. If you divorce it is likely he will get some benefit from your retirement.


If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.


This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.



Jack R. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions