How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20 yrs exp. in divorce, custody, visitation & support .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 14 year old daughter that lives with me and her mother

This answer was rated:

I have a 14 year old daughter that lives with me and her mother and I were never married. I am trying to enroll her in high school but they say they need a divorce decree but we were never married
Thank you for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Do you have any type of custody order from the court?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Hi Gary,

I want to look up a few things for you. I will be back asap with an answer for you.

Thanks for your patience.
Hi Gary,

You should ABSOLUTELY be able to register your daughter in high school.

Below is a link the the Illinois State Board of Education Registration Guidance for the 2012-2013 School Year.

The Registration Guidance should allow you to register your daughter under either section (i) or section (v).

Section (v) is a "catch all" provision that covers situations not otherwise covered in sections (i) through (4).

You may wish to print out the Registration Guidance and present it to the school in which you want to register your daughter.

Moreover, the Registration provides a hyper-link to an Affidavit that you may wish to fill out, if necessary, and present to the school.

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it as "excellent" or in another positive manner. That is the only way that I can get credit for answering the question.

Thank you for your business!

xavierjd and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Hi Gary,

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,