How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask xavierjd Your Own Question
xavierjd, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3400
Experience:  20 yrs exp. in divorce, custody, visitation & support .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
xavierjd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the non-custodial parent that has joint custody with the

This answer was rated:

I am the non-custodial parent that has joint custody with the child. I recently was looking over my child support case online to determine my arrears, and noticed at the top of the screen where the my CS id number is XXXXX next to security it had "One of the members is on Family Violence" what does this mean, does it mean my child is staying with someone in the family that has some sort of violence? Is this geared towards me being it is seen under my account when I log in, I know for a fact myself or no one in my family has had any issue with family violence.
Thank you for using It will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Have you talked to your caseworker or anyone in the child support division about the information listed by your name?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No I have not, I can not find any contact information on the website, also I do not have a case worker. The phone number listed on my payment coupons are basically worthless being they could never answer any of my questions in the past.


I want to look up a few things for you. I will be back with an answer for you asap. It make take several minutes.

Thanks for your patience.

Below is a link to the New Jersey Child Support Enforcement Page. The page not only gives you a "hotline" number, but how to communicate any concerns that you have regarding your case. The information regarding domestic violence, most likely, applies to you. YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO HAVE THE INFORMATION CORRECTED SINCE THE INFORMATION IS PULIC.

The site indicates what information must be included in any written communication (if necessary) that you may have to have with Child Support Enforcement. Your written communication may become important if you have to file a Petition with the Family Court to correct any information on your child support case that is incorrect. Any written communication creates "a paper trail" so that if you do have to file a Petition, your written communication can be used as evidence that you tried to have the wrong information on your case corrected by the Child Support Enforcement Division.

If you are unsuccessful at having the domestic violence information taken off of your case (and the website), you will have to file a Petition to Correct Information on Child Support Enforcement Page.

If you have to file a Petition, you may wish to include the following information:

1. Use the Caption (court, names, case number, judge) and title your Petition "Petition to Correct Information on Child Support Enforcement Page"

2. In separate paragraphs you may wish to state:

A. NOW COMES (Defendant/Plaintiff) and your name, and for his Petition states as follows:

1. Indicate the date that the divorce was entered;
2. Indicate that you were ordered by the court to pay child support for the number of children, names of children, and dates of birth of children;
3. Indicate that you went on line to determine any arrearages and found that there was incorrect information on your on-line child support record;
4. Indicate that next to your CS id number located next to security states that "One of the members is on Family Violence."
5. Indicate that you attempted to contact Child Support Enforcement by telephone (include the dates and times) and that you were unsuccessful in obtaining any information regarding the error;
6. Indicate that you wrote Child Support Enforcement by letter (see attached exhibit 1)
7. Indicate that you did not receive any response, or that the response that you received from Child Support Enforcement was incorrect;
8. Indicate that you have never been convicted of domestic violence and you have never had any restraining order for domestic violence entered against you by any court;
9. Indicate that if your ex wife or anyone associate with your ex wife who has contact with your children has been convicted of domestic violence, then you believe that the parenting time provision should be modified to include that your children have NO CONTACT with the person convicted of domestic violence;
10. Indicate that it is CRITICAL that the incorrect information as it relates to you be corrected immediately.

WHEREFORE, you request the Court to:
A. Enter an Order that requires the Child Support Enforcement to IMMEDIATLY correct any mis-information in its files or on its website;
B. Enter an Order prohibiting any person associated with your wife that has been convicted of domestic violence from having contact with the minor children;
C. Grant any other relief that is just and equitable.

Sign your Petition and date it. File the original with the Court, a copy to the Child Support Enforcement, and mail a copy to your ex. Then, file a Proof of Service (available at the court) indicating who was served with your Petition and how they were served (eg. regular mail).

I hope you find this information useful.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it as "excellent" or in another positive manner. That is the only way that I can get credit for answering the question.

Thank you for your business!


xavierjd and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Thank you so much for the "excellent service" rating! It is greatly appreciated and I am glad that you found the information useful.

If you have future questions, you can specifically request me by name as the expert.

Thanks again,