Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

We live in Texas and our 17 year old daughter is pregnant and

has moved out of our...
We live in Texas and our 17 year old daughter is pregnant and has moved out of our home. We do not have medical insurance and wonder what our obligation is to provide for the medical needs of our daughter.
3/20/2013
max713
max713, Lawyer

max713 :

Hi. I thank you for choosing Justanswer for your legal question(s). My role as expert is to provide you with utmost service through providing legal information that is honest and truthful (and not overly rosy in nature). Notably, I do not provide advice.

Unless she has emancipated, the obligation to support your child continues until she turns 18, or the age of the majority. While you have no obligation to support your grandchild(ren), your obligation does continue while she is 17 UNLESS emancipated.

max713 :

Does that make sense?

max713 :

If it does, do you have any follow up questions? If so, I am here to provide you with the best possible service, so I welcome any and all follow ups you may have.

max713 :

Or, if you would like any clarification(s), I welcome you to ask questions on that front as well. Again, I am here to serve you.

max713 :

Or, if you have no further questions, that's fine too. If that's the case, please provide me with a positive rating for my service to you.

max713 :

But, again, I welcome you to ask ANYTHING on your mind - as it is my goal to provide you with the best possible service.

Customer:

Thanks for your quick response. Your answer is what we thought might be the case.

max713 :

You are most welcome. It's my utmost pleasure to serve you.

max713 :

Do you have anything else on your mind? I'm here to provide you with the best possible service.

Customer:

Your service was Excellent. I will so indicate.

max713 :

Thank you. I very much appreciate that. It has been my pleasure.

Customer:

It just occurred to me, that I paid for a high level of detail in your response. Is what you gave me meet that? Seems rather basic.

max713 :

I can provide you as much detail as you like.

Customer:

What happens if I don't "provide" for her?

max713 :

The support requirement is spelled out in Chapter 154.001. If you don't provide support, she (or child services) can sue to collect what is due.

max713 :

For your reference(s), this is a link to the relevant statute: http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.154.htm

max713 :

And, parents cannot force abortion. For that, see the following link: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/texas-teen-wins-right-to-give-birth-over-parents-objections/

max713 :

If you have any further questions, please ask away. I am here to serve you.

max713 :

Or, if not, please remember to provide me a positive rating for my service to you.

max713 :

If she married, that would be grounds for emancipation though (so that you would no longer be liable to pay support), if that's something on the table.

max713 :

Do you have any further questions? If so, please ask away.

Customer:

Sorry about the lack of communications; we had a power outage at our business and I am now just back up. Thank you for the answer regarding "what happens." I will sign-off now and give an Excellent rating.

max713 :

It is no problem at all, and it was my pleasure to serve you.

max713 :

Thank you.

max713
max713, Lawyer
max713
max713
max713, Lawyer