Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

i live in georgia. trowe price is my 401k people. she got half

of my 401 when we...
i live in georgia. trowe price is my 401k people. she got half of my 401 when we divorced. which was agreed upon at the time of the divorce. it was not an ugly divorce and we seem to actually be working it out really good and look like we are on the right track for our kids to get back together. is there a penalty for getting remarried or a time limit that we had to be divorced before we get remarried?
3/18/2013
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Hi, thanks for your inquiry! I have been practicing family law for 17+ years and have specific experience with issues like yours. That being said...

I am working on your answer and will post it shortly. Thank you for your patience.
Hi again, and thank you.

No, I am finding no law (past or new) indicating that Georgia has begun to penalize people for remarrying each other. (I suppose they think that you already paid a price when you got the divorce.) Or that at 401k gets penalized, which it doesn't. Did you have a particular penalty you thought may apply?

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need follow up before or after RATING me. And PLEASE know that my job depends on a POSITIVE rating now and at least an 8-10 feedback rating later. Thanks! I won't forget your support.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

-------

I think this is what you wanted to know. If not, please let me know and we can interact further. Otherwise, I wish you the best and ask that you Rate me now. HINT: I aim to provide only EXCELLENT SERVICE and ask that you click a rating on the RIGHT side of the choices OR, follow up with me if you need more follow up or clarification. AND, WHEN YOU DO RATE ME POSITIVELY, PLEASE SEND ME A REPLY LETTING ME KNOW YOU ARE DOING SO, SO WE CAN ENSURE IT GETS RECORDED. THANKS!

You can ask for me directly in the future by starting your post with "To Alexia Esq." Or bookmark this page, and go to: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-AlexiaEsq/

Repeat reminder: Due to rules of our states, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information in order that you may have a starting point for helping yourself and presenting your issue to your lawyer if need be. I am an Attorney in the U.S. but I am not your attorney.

thank you for your prompt response. i guess i am just wondering if there was a time line like a month or yr that we had to be divorced if that makes sense?

I understand! No, there is no time period minimum, with regard to your divorce agreement and marital property division.

However, under Social Security laws, there sometimes is. For instance, if you two were divorced for less than a year, sometimes they will count both marriage time periods towards a total married time together, when length of marriage is a factor for a benefit, for the purposes of determining if certain benefits would be payable (such as spousal or survival benefits. But in terms of honoring a divorce agreement, no.
You know, I should qualify that: If you have to pay, say, alimony, that would end upon HER remarriage typically. Also, child support would typically end if you remarried and lived together. But 401k spit? It is still hers, unless and until she puts it in a joint account for the purpose of sharing it.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney