How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Which form do I use to ask the court in Santa Barbara California

This answer was rated:

Which form do I use to ask the court in Santa Barbara California for permission to serve someone via mail or publication? The judge already knows the respondent is hiding from service, and mail sent to respondents parents house has been sufficient for 'last known mailing address'. I'm self representing in a custody situation, and am doing well but a bit intimidated at service via mail or publication process. I filed motion for contempt a couple of days ago, and now I need to serve the respondent whom I can not locate.

Thank you in advance.

Hello Joe,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share the following information with you.

Here's the free forms you need:

FL-980Jan 1, 2013Application for Order for Publication or Posting
FL-982Jan 1, 2013Order for Publication or Posting
FL-985Jan 1, 2013Proof of Service by Posting

It's a three-part process, and hence three forms, meaning you ask for the relief (application), it's granted (order), and then you show what you did (proof).

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

LawHelpNow and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Hi there Joe,

You are quite welcome. My pleasure entirely!

Thank you for the kindness of your favorable rating, which I greatly appreciate!

Best regards,

Ben, J.D.
Hello Joe,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.


Ben, J.D.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Ben,


Thank you for asking. When I filed the motion for contempt, I was planning on serving her attorney. I then found out that he was no longer representing her, so I started thinking about service by publication. Upon reading the documents, it has become clear that the time it takes to do service by publication will land us past the actual court date for motion for contempt. Therefor I've done some research and learned about service by substitution, where I have someone served in her 'household' and also mail a copy to the house. Now I'm wondering if you can please tell me, is service by substitution allowed on a contempt motion? If so, are there special forms I need to use for this process?


Many Thanks,


Hello again Joe,

This gets rather tricky, so please bear with me. The default answer is "no", it's not allowed. However, the law does allow for one narrow exception, meaning: (1) the party has concealed herself to avoid service; (2) you can provide the Court with evidentiary facts detailing your reasonable efforts to ascertain her whereabouts; and (3) likewise you demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the Court, the efforts taken to attempt service of process. Cedars-Sinai Imaging Med. Group v. Super.Ct. (Moore), 83 Cal.App.4th at 1286, 100 Cal.Rptr.2d at 324.
This is highly technical territory, no standard forms will suffice, and intervention of an attorney is definitely required.
Kind regards,

Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Ben,


Is there a special time frame on substituded service?


And I've read two numbers for the standard time frame required for service, 14 days before hearing and elsewhere it said 21 days before hearing.


It will be easy enough to convince the judge that she's avoiding service and hiding from the law, the district attorney child abduction unit detective has been looking for her since August.


You're a great help,

In appreciation-


Hi Joe,
You're quite welcome, glad to be of help.
Here's the actual rule:
California Code of Civil Procedure Section 415.20
I need to sign off, but I saw you had written back and didn't want to leave you hanging.
Take care,
Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions