How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to know what the procedure is if I want to gain

Customer Question

I would like to know what the procedure is if I want to gain sole custody of my child based on neglect/abondonment by my former partner who has had no contact with our child in over 6 months and only 1 other visit in the in the 6 months before that. I live in Nevada and I believe he does also but I don't know where any more. We have lived in the same house for the last three years and I have been at the same place of employment for 5 and not changed my phone number in the last two years. My former partner has also never paid any type of child support/maintenance. Can i file for sole custody due to abandonment now? If so how do i do this?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using JA. I will do my best to answer your questions. DON’T FORGET, your deposit is not used to compensate me until you rate my service.

I am assuming by partner you mean the child's other biological parent who is on the birth certificate and the two of you were never married. If that is the case, you certainly have the right to file for sole custody and also for child support. Family court is not a friendly place so your best resource is a local attorney to assist you. Here is a referral site.

Here is the self help site and the form that is required to establish custody and child support along with the instructions

If you need further clarification please continue