How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to get a divorce from my husband but I have no

This answer was rated:

I would like to get a divorce from my husband but I have no clue where he is or how to contact him. He is not an American citizen and he has no SS#. We got married in 10/99 and he was abusive and I had several PFAs against him. He went back to Germany in 2000 and never came back. I know he would never sign for a divorce even if he could be found. So what Im asking is how can I divorce him without his signature or can I legally get an annullment? Please help me.
DearCustomer- This should be a rather simple process. If you don't know the whereabouts of your husband then you can simply file a complaint for divorce and request that he be served by publication. A notice will be placed in the official court reporter for 4-6 weeks and, assuming he doesn't file a response, you will then have the right to a divorce by default or on a non contested basis. I am assuming there are no children involved and that there are no issues of marital property to be divided so all that will happen is that you will receive a decree of divorce. The grounds for the divorce are simply that you have lived separate and apart for so long so you don't have to prove the abuse or any other facts.
Dave Kennett and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you