How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is a US citizen and married a Scottish gentleman.

This answer was rated:

My daughter is a US citizen and married a Scottish gentleman. They have a daughter now 20 months. She is now in the USA and the daughter is now a legal US citizen. She would like to divorce.
She would like sole custody as the spouse has been in/out of alcohol rehab, has not supported financially etc.. etc... should she proceed?
Dear JACUSTOMER - I'm not exactly sure what you are asking about how to proceed. If she wants to file for divorce and she is a resident of Texas then she can file in the family law court in the county where she resides. She can ask the court to award custody of her child to her and for a fair division of marital assets. The father would be granted visitation but I doubt the court would allow the child to be removed from the country so the visitation would have to take place in Texas. She obviously has grounds for divorce and if her husband is still in the UK she can file here and if he doesn't appear she can get the divorce on a non contested basis . I don't know if that answers your question so please let me know if you have something specific you wanted to ask.
Dave Kennett and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you