How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28002
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wasnt able to afford a lawyer in nursing school. My ex was

This answer was rated:

I wasnt able to afford a lawyer in nursing school. My ex was granted sole custody. I am supposed to have him every weekend of the month except the 2nd weekend of the month and i am supposed to get him tuesdays from 6-8. I am lucky to get to see him once a month because my ex wont let me have him if i work any the week end. I have learned my ex had a stroke last week and my son has been at a sitters instead of my home. my ex is tomhave surgery on his brain and his parents arent letting me have him.. am i able to get temporary emergency custody at least until my ex is able to care for him?

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand your situation and concern. Your ex has a legal obligation to comply with the order of the court and can not take it upon himself to decide when you can see your child, when the court order specifically states when you are allowed to take and have him. Unless the order stated that he could keep the child if you were working, he has no business not letting the child go with you. As such, you could file a motion with the court, asking that he be held in contempt, for violating the custody order. Moreover, his parents have no legal right to tell you that you can not have the child and if they will not release him to you, you could try contacting the police and have them accompany you to the sitters home, with the order, showing you have a legal right to the child at this time. In addition, the court is always going to act in the best interest of the child. If the father is having surgery and unable to care for the child, it is possible you can file an emergency motion with the court, asking that temporary custody be awarded to you, until he fully recovers, upon which time the previous order will go back into effect. The fact that the child is with a sitter instead of with you, as the mother, is something that the Judge will certainly consider, as long as you can show you have the ability to properly care for the child.

FamilyAnswer and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. You have settled my nerves and eased my mind. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Thank you and good luck. If you have not already, please remember to rate my help with 3, 4 or 5 faces, so I can get credit for my answer.