How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in the process of filing a divorce contempt judgement and

This answer was rated:

I'm in the process of filing a divorce contempt judgement and the court in the state of Missouri in Saint Louis is now also telling me I have to file what's called "an order to show cause". How do I perfect that and where can I get the forms/
Hello and welcome.
I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. First, I have some questions for you so I can determine what information to provide you.
Have you already file the motion for order to show cause and the court is requesting a proposed order? What have you already prepared or filed in the case?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been told by the court that I need to file an "order to show cause" how is the best way to write this up to present to the court? Do I file it with the clerk of the Division in which the case was litigated or do I file where all domestic relations motions get filed. What happens once I do this and what do I need to do at this point? The point of this pointless exercise is to collect of a divorce settlement that I am due. Also too will this compel the court to put a garnishment on the other parties wages? Please advise.Thank you
Hello again,
You would typically file a motion for order to show cause in the court where the order was originally entered. A proposed order to show cause should also be filed typically as that is what will issue from the court to the opposing party.
Here is a link to an order to show cause:
And here is a motion for order to show cause and contempt which can aid you in drafting your motion:
After the order to show cause is issued, a hearing should be set in the case typically, wherein your ex would typically have to explain why she is in violation of the court's order and the court may order her in contempt and even jailed until she complies with the order.
A motion to garnish wages or assets would typically be filed separately, although you can request that this relief be granted as well at the hearing.
I hope this helps clarify the situation for you.
It has been my pleasure to assist you. Kindly remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain your concern to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to you or not, so please don’t shoot the messenger. Thank you and all the best to you in 2013.
Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
Tina and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Hello again,
I wanted to thank you for using, and to inquire whether my answer was helpful in clarifying your understanding of the law even though it may not have resulted in the outcome you were hoping it would.
Is there anything else I can assist you with?
If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:
Thank you very much and all the best to you in 2013.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are going to file the order for just cause this week and if we run into any resistance from the court I will be calling you again. Thank you, Joseph
Hello again, Joseph. Thank you very much for the update and good luck on your motion.
Please remember to provide me with a positive rating so I will be compensated for my time in assisting you. It is much appreciated!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I would delighted to give a excellent rating.
Thank you so much. :)