How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a wife take possession of the residence prior to a divorce

This answer was rated:

Can a wife take possession of the residence prior to a divorce if the husband is contesting moving out? Assume that the wife is paying the mortgage and all utilities and intends to pursue joint custody but primary care for their 6 year old son.
Dear JACUSTOMER - Each party has an equal right to the marital residence until there is a court order to the contrary. The wife can file a motion as part of the divorce case for "exclusive use" of the premises and if the court grants the motion then she can take possession and her husband will have to move. Until that happens there is no way to get exclusive use unless there is domestic violence. If that occurs then the wife can apply for a protection order from the court and have the husband removed. So, under the facts presented, the wife needs to file for exclusive use and make her case as to why the husband should be forced to move.
Dave Kennett and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you