Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

if the date on a divorce decree does not match the date on

Customer Question

if the date on a divorce decree does not match the date on the marriage license would the spouse or ex-spouse have legal rights when an ex-spouse is deceased
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.

FiveStarLaw :

*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

FiveStarLaw :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Don't Forget that the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service ! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the law .

FiveStarLaw :

Would you please clarify the facts? What you mean the divorce decree does not match the date on the marriage license –

JACUSTOMER-uxujmwf2- :

my marriage license date is october 23, and i really sat down and read the decree for divorce and i saw the error where it stated we were joined in marriage on october 21 on the divorce decree and it has been like maybe 39 years ago since the divorce and spouse is deceased

FiveStarLaw :

Okay – the marriage license and the divorce decree pertain to the same spouse?

JACUSTOMER-uxujmwf2- :

yes

FiveStarLaw :

Got it

FiveStarLaw :

An error in the date is what is known as a "Scribners error". It would not invalidate a divorce decree

FiveStarLaw :

A "Scribners error" is the legal name for a typographical error without consequence

FiveStarLaw :

Does this answer your question

JACUSTOMER-uxujmwf2- :

you are soooooo right

FiveStarLaw :

You stated that I am "soooooo right" and then left me a poor service rating. Was this a mistake? I am happy to continue our conversation if I have not answered your question. A poor service rating puts my job at risk

Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.